As the snow melts, temperatures warm up (can’t be much colder than last week) and tournament schedules get finalized it is that time of the year again where I sit down and set some goals for the upcoming season and have a look at a potential tournament schedule.
With the wedding last year the competitive golf season was pretty much a write off, although I did end up playing OVGA intersectionals for Metcalfe and for the most part played well all season. I took 6 points at intersectionals playing in the 5th spot (in 3 years I have taken 6 points in 2008, 0 points in 2009, and 6 points in 2010) and whittled my handicap index down to 6.9.
The things I really want to work on are my up and down average and my scoring average, that, although I carry a 6.9 index, sits above 80. More practice will help both of these areas.
My Goals/Objectives for the 2011 season are:
1. Practice more (especially around the greens)
2. Lower RCGA Handicap index to 6.0
3. Defend as 2010 Club Champion
4. Take at least 4 points at OVGA intersectionals.
5. Make Cut at OVGA Men’s A Class City and District*
6. Finish Top 5 in B Flight at Flagstick Shootout*
* Objectives 5 and 6 will depend on a couple factors, neither tournament has guaranteed entry so first I have to get in. For the OVGA Men’s A Class I also have to find the time to take off from work. Taking so much vacation last year with the wedding hasn’t left me with much this year. I have already had to drop out of the Citizen Amateur due to work, so the A Class may also fall by the side for 2011. For the Shootout, they determine the flights after all entires have been received. At a 6.9 index I will likely be middle of the pack index wise in the B flight, but who knows at this point.
With that, my potential 2011 Schedule is looking like:
May 28 – 29: Flagstick Shootout – Smugglers Glen
May 30, June 4/5, June 6: Metcalfe Men’s Intersectional Team Qualifying
July 10: OVGA Men’s Intersectionals – Division I at Hammond
Aug 6 – 7: Metcalfe Club Championships
Aug 29 – 31: OVGA Men’s A Class City and District Championships – Kanata, Renfrew, Ottawa Hunt Club
Sept 19 – OVGA Tournament of Champions (if I qualify as Metcalfe Club Champ) – Cedarhill GC