With 2010 coming to an end I thought I would look back over the past year and share some of my favorite things. It has been a good year for me on and off the course. In June I started a new job, moving over from Squash Canada to the Canada Games Council, during the summer I helped Metcalfe Golf dive head first into social media with twitter, facebook and a blog, In July I managed to win all 6 points at Intersectionals (unfortunately the team came up short), in August I won the Metcalfe Golf & CC Club Championship, in September I got married (at a golf course) and at the end of September my wife and I took an amazing trip to Scotland and Ireland where we were able to play a couple of rounds of golf and spend a day at St.Andrew’s. So, it has been a good year to say the least.
The only criteria I used for my list was that I had to have experienced it in 2010, regardless of when it came out. The lists are my favorite things, not necessarily the things I think are the best from 2010.
I have broken the list into 3 separate posts 1) Golf 2) Entertainment 3) Misc.
Part 1 Golf
- Favorite Courses Played in 2010
- Tarandowah (Avon, ON) – I have written about Tarandowah on the blog previously and I can’t say enough about this course. I have played it in the heat, in the cold, in rain, in wind, I have played well there and extremely poor there and I have loved it equally each time.
- Portmarnock (Dublin, Ireland) – Mary and I played it during our honeymoon, it was a real treat to play a true links course.
- University Golf Club (Vancouver, BC) – Played it while in Vancouver for work.It rained the entire round (go figure, rain in Vancouver), but the course was in great shape, it was difficult, but fair.
- Favorite Golf Media of 2010
- Twitter – Golf news from the media, tours and players themselves all in 140 characters or less
- Ottawagolf.com – Has the most active golf forum in the Ottawa area. Good place to buy and sell used clubs and talk golf. Also easy place to link to area golf courses.
- Flagstick Golf Magazine – Lots of local (Ottawa) golf articles, plus the only source for local tournament results.
- Favorite Golf Products of 2010
- Monk Rain Cover – I actually bought this in 2009, but I seemed to use it a lot more in 2010. A great product for keeping everything dry when playing in the rain.
- Srixon Z Star Golf Balls – Srixon sent me a couple of free sleeves last winter, anything I get for free I like. The balls played well and were pretty durable.
- Nike Thermal Sleeves – This came in handy this fall. These are perfect for cool mornings that lead to warm afternoons.
- Favorite Golf Related News of 2010
- Lee Westwood takes over number 1 spot on World Rankings – I like Tiger Woods, but I have always cheered for Westwood. It was nice to see him grab the number 1 ranking.
- Graeme McDowell winning US Open and clinching Ryder Cup for European Team – McDowell a World University Golf Championships alumni (for all your amateur spot junkies) had quite the year of clutch performances.
- Tiger Wood’s – enough said. Guy had a tough year. I hope he pulls it back together for 2011. it is one of my favorite stories of the year because it brought Tiger back down to earth, and in the long run it will make the PGA tour better (although it did some damage at the time)
- Favorite Golf Experiences of 2010
- Getting to play Golf in Scotland and Ireland – Nothing else in the world like it. Didn’t even play golf at St.Andrew’s, but just being there was incredible.
- Winning the Metcalfe Golf & CC Club Championship – I played really well 1 day and really poor the other, but managed to pull it together on the back 9 and hold off the nearest competitor.
- Taking all 6 points at OVGA intersectionals for Metcalfe Golf & CC at Mont Cascades – Too bad we finished 3rd overall (out of 4 teams).